After making a soft-jaw fixture to hold the partially finished barrel nuts after turning, I was able to get the initial run on them complete.
Many end users have complained that the original nuts that come with the URX rail easily strip or are damaged during barrel changes. These barrel nuts are intended as tool steel replacements to the factory aluminum barrel nuts to provide increased strength and ease of serviceability. They are designed to work with our aftermarket wrench as well as a factory unit and are compatible with the URX II, 3.0, and 3.1.
Things went well with testing the fit up for the threads, so production has commenced. All these barrel nuts are done with OP 1 on the lathe. The next step is cutting the teeth.
Programming the tool paths for OP1 on the lathe for the new URX barrel nuts.
Lightweight Bolt carrier groups are now available in the store. Please check out the page for more details.
I get asked this question a lot: Which is better NiB or QPQ?
The truth is it depends. They are both an incredibly durable finish when applied correctly (we use a licensed 3M nickel boron and QPQ by H&M Metal Processing, which are both the top names in the industry).
The area where NiB tends to shine is it's ease of cleaning and the QPQ excels in that it makes the material incredibly durable.
It seems we're up to our eye balls in bolts this week. This is one of about 10 boxes.
These will later go to the metrology lab to inspect dimensionally, then shot peened to relieve any stresses, then to heat treat and coating.
For those of you that own rifles with the URX series of rails know what a pain it is to either send you upper into a smith to have it worked on or fork out the dough for a wrench to do it yourself. Within the next few weeks, we'll have something available at a reasonable price to change that.
The sample came back from the heat treat after getting hardened to 35-40 RC, then got coated in black oxide.
After test fitting the wrench on a barrel nut, it was confirmed that there wasn't any measurable shift in dimensions from the heat treated. Now it's time to fire up the mill and start cranking these puppies out.
Machined a sample wrench today to re-check the geometry of my model. It's been a little while since I've made some of these, so it's always good to give everything a quick double check before you do a production run.
Some lightweight carriers that I just finished up the final machining on. Next they're off to get heat treated, then bead blast, then to the coaters for QPQ.
Sorry I haven't had much progress to document lately. I've just been working on scrounging up more barrels and ammo for the up-coming testing period. The kind folks at Clarks Custom Guns gave me a call the other day to let me know another take-off barrel came in.
Besides that, I was fortunate a couple months ago to become involved in manufacturing BCG's for a couple big name retailers on this site, which not only has opened up a huge network of people within the gun industry, but also help in funding this project.
d.wilson mfg works on interesting projects from time to time, so this is the place we'll share some of them.